.

Thursday, May 23, 2019

Iron Crowned Chapter 16

Kiyo asked no questions when I c everyed Enrique back up and told him Id be out of town and out of contact for a while but that I believe him to carry on. Re exclusivelyy, Kiyo said little at all as we hurried back to my house. Within minutes, I had a small satchel packed, and then we were forward to the Otherworldly crossing. No matter what ups and downs had occurred in our relationship, he knew me well. He knew I had to act on this immediately.The questions began once I reached my castle.How the hell, I began, did this happen?I was in angiotensin converting enzyme of the receiving rooms, Kiyo by my side as I stared down Shaya and some of the soldiers who manned the grounds. Rurik was with them, which gave me mixed feelings. I was glad he was back from Dorians. I trusted him more than both other military guy around here. That being said, there was a petty part of me that held him responsible. How could someone as capable as him have let this happen?He grimaced, as though guess ing my thoughts. A small group sneaked onto our grounds, overpowered her guards and took her. He hesitated. She only had two with her, Your Majesty. As youll recall, her visualize was lightened. Still. There is no excuse.I hadnt witnessed this kind of diplomacy and respect from Rurik since well, actually, Id never really witnessed it. With Dorian? Yes. Not with me. Jasmines abduction had really gotten to Rurik, no question. I was pretty surely he was taking it personally. however Id too caught the slight meaning in his carefully worded comment about her lightened guard. That had been my call. I had done it in chemical reaction to her pricy behavior and had let her outside more. Id known it was a potential security risk but not one that involved her leaving against her will.Were at war, I said. Regardless of her guard, this whole swan should have been under lock-down.He nodded, face growing grimmer. As I said, theres no excuse. I take full responsibility.I waved a hand dism issively. Its too late now. I know youre doing your job. Dont lay yourself out for the slaughter. Volusian said there was a note?Shaya handed me a order of rolled parchment. Kiyo leaned over my shoulder as I read it silently to myselfTo Eugenie, Usurper Queen of the spine Land, Daughter of Tirigan Stormi, KingAs you no interrogation know by now, I have your sister within my custody. If you wish her returned to you alive, you and the Oak King will surrender unconditionally to me. You will cease hostilities immediately, adopt your armies, and cede your lands. Additionally, you will turn over the alleged Iron Crown to me.If you do not comply with these terms, your sister will be executed at noon, three days from the receipt of this letter. For now, she is alive, and I have given her into the keeping of my nephew Cassius.I await your response.Sincerely,Katrice, Queen of the Rowan Land,Beloved of the GodsI experienceed up at the many watching eyes. Given her into the keeping of my n ephew Cassius. Does that mean what I think it does?Shaya grimaced. That is the nephew she wanted you to unify.why execute Jasmine then? I demanded. Why not marry her off to Cassius? Isnt that a waste of one of Storm Kings daughters?Katrice hates you, said Kiyo softly. At this point, she probably doesnt even care about the prophecy. She wants to lend back at you, scandalise you, and if that means killing Jasmine, then its probably an acceptable dismission especially if she tries to then give you to Cassius after this surrender.So Id get to live?Kiyo shrugged. Longer suffering.Why choose her as a hostage though? I didnt know why I was arguing the logic here. None of it mattered. Only the outcome did. Everyone knows we dont get along.Everyone also probably knows thats been changing a little, said Kiyo. You brought her to Dorians.And, added Shaya, a royal family member usually makes the best hostage in these situations.These situations. For a moment, I nearly swayed on my feet, wanting to close my eyes and pass out. It had nothing to do with the heat. It was this. All of this. This situation always repeating itself. Me and Jasmine, cursed by our blood, always to be used and captured as possessions in a greater game. Id hated Aeson, but at least hed lured Jasmine into some pretense of love before taking prefer of her. But what about this Cassius? Hed make no attempts at kindness. This was all about punishment and revenge, after all. Had he already raped Jasmine? Was he doing it now? A sickening memory of Leith came to sagaciousness, one sharp and clear in spite of the drugged state Id been in during my ordeal with him. Moments later, it was replaced by an image of this faceless Cassius glowering himself over a cowering Jasmine.I pushed my weakness aside, steadying myself and bringing the world back into focus. I turned to Rurik. How far are our armies spread out? How briefly could we get them together and march on her? I want to raze that bitchs lands a nd burn her castle to the ground I want to have the fucking irritation of heaven rain down on her and I cut myself off, as startled at my words as the others were. Where had that rage come from? Well, the situation, obviously. I wouldnt want anyone thrown to Katrices nephew before facing execution. But it occurred to me in that moment that my reaction was also personal. Somewhere, in the ups and downs of our dysfunctional family, Id come to care about Jasmine. My anger came from the loss of her.Easy, Eug, said Kiyo, resting a hand on my arm. There was a nervous note in his voice, mirrored by the others expressions. Id once been told that when I was angry, I resembled my father. I took a deep breath and pushed back any further outbursts.Leading a massive army in while deserved wouldnt be Rurik was close up treading lightly, still choosing words carefully. Well, Katrice was already in wartime mode, heavily guarded. After this? The lands outside her home probably have triple the guard they did before.But if our force was gigantic enough I began.Rurik nodded. True. Its possible. Especially if especially if my lord Dorians armies were involved. He looked uneasy at mentioning Dorian, but I could see a considering look on Ruriks face. I had a feeling we shared the same puzzle. Would Dorian lend forces to help me? Possibly not, not if his anger overrode any devotion to me. On the other hand, Dorian was still in this war, and I knew him well enough to think he might welcome a full-out march on her castle. Rurik knew that too. With his forces, its possible, Rurik said at last. But Katrices would be defending. It would be bloody. It would be ugly.He didnt sound opposed to that, per se. He was a military man ugly battles were the way of the world. But we all knew that wasnt ideal.My mind spun. Part of me wanted that large force to beat on Katrice because I thought she deserved it. This was about more than revenge, however. It was about Jasmine. I needed to go wi th the plan most likely to get her back, and an invading army wasnt it. It would take a smaller group, just as shed no doubt sent here, one that could slip in. We were heavily guarded, but with the assorted petitioners and refugees always coming and going, it was no wonder Jasmines kidnappers had slipped in. Katrice undoubtedly had a similar stream of people coming to her in these times, but shed probably be on high alert with them too.Imanuelle, I said, realizing too many moments of silence had passed. Can you get me Imanuelle?It was this, finally, that took the groups eyes off me because they all exchanged astonished looks. Kiyos face grew troubled.Thats your plan? Kiyo asked. Assassinate Katrice? Eugenie, youre better than that. Hed on the face of it heard of Imanuelle.I am, I agreed. And smarter. Get her for me. That was to Shaya, who nodded and then shot a look at a hovering servant. He gave a hasty bob of his head and darted out of the room.Ready to repeat history? I asked K iyo. Itll be like predacious Aesons all over again.Youre going No. Eugenie, you cant go there.I gestured to Rurik and began moving for the exit. You heard him. We cant get in with a large force not easily.Yes, I get that, said Kiyo, following after me. But you cant go.I have to go, I countered.Rurik had hurried along after us. Hes right. Send someone else. Ill go. Well sneak in and take her.I came to an abrupt halt, nearly causing both men to run into me. Im going. This is my responsibility. Besides, who else around here can match me magically? I peered back and forth between their faces, daring them to challenge me.Even so, said Rurik, if youre discovered, youll be outnumbered. And youre an enemy queen. In wartime. Walking right into your enemys stronghold. I cant allow this.Its not your place to allow me to do anything I snapped. Or you either. I turned to Kiyo for that, guessing his words. We wont be discovered. Not if Imanuelles as good as she claims. I was so devolve of men telling me what I could and couldnt do.I left them and stalked off down the hallway toward my bedroom. Neither followed me right away, but I just scantily heard Rurik mutter to Kiyo, Well, if shes caught, she will get a massive army descending on Katrice, at least. My lord Dorian wouldnt permit anything less.The flaw in my plan, as it turned out, was waiting on Imanuelle. After our last meeting, shed left my kingdom, and finding her wasnt easy. You couldnt just openly summon a famed assassin. Girard was at my court, however, and apparently had secret ways of sending messages to his sister. I didnt ask any questions about his means, so long as she showed up.Waiting for her gave us time to plan strategy. in one case my advisors grudgingly accepted that Id be going personally and once Rurik accepted that he would not be accompanying me they fell in line to syndicate their knowledge about Katrices castle. Id joked earlier to Kiyo about this being like our break-in to Aesons but re ally, it was true. This time, we had no guide personally to take us in. We had to rely on anecdotal knowledge from those who had been there and could make best guesses at where Jasmine might be held. And that was presuming Katrice was actually keeping her on-hand.Perhaps the most surprising part of all of this was Kiyos acquiescence. Id expected protests about my safety or perhaps a diplomatic solution. But, no. He realized the importance of saving Jasmine. And he too knew this was probably our best shot at least on such short notice.You should know, Rurik told us later, that you arent going to be able to bring Volusian. He, Kiyo, Shaya, and I were in my bedroom, which Id do my makeshift war headquarters.Why not? I asked. That was a surprise. Id been counting on his muscle, something I had to admit Id missed while fighting for the crown. What was the point of an undead minion if I couldnt put him to good use? He can go in with us invisibly.Rurik shook his head. Everyone knows abou t him. Katrice does. Shell have people on-hand who can sense him. Shell also probably have those with the power to banish him. Enough of them united together could.You have a lot of faith in her, I noted dryly. Volusian was unverbalised to banish I couldnt do it but Rurik had a point. Get enough magic-users together, and they could eventually pull it off.He gave me a twisted smile. Shes not stupid. And she has advisors. Not as good as yours, of course, but they would have thought everything over before kidnapping Jasmine.A knock on the door interrupted any response I might have made, and after I called entry, a servant showed Imanuelle in.Finally, I said.She swept in, clad in billowing red silk pants and a matching, midriff-showing top. The assassin arched an eyebrow and gave me an amused look as she put her hands on her hips. I dont wait around on your every command, Thorn Queen. And last time we spoke, you made it pretty clear, you didnt want me around. Have you finally come to your senses? From what I hear, nows a pretty good time to get unfreeze of Katrice. Imanuelle paused carefully. Although, getting rid of her before now would have been even better. Would have saved you and your sister a lot of trouble.I bit off any snide remarks. We cant have Katrice killed. Im pretty sure the instant her people found her dead, Jasmine would be next. I need you to sneak in and get Jasmine out of there.Imanuelles assertive smile dropped. Thats not what I do. I kill. I dont rescue.Ill do the rescuing. You need to get me and Kiyo in. Disguise us with this so-called power you keep bragging about. Or is masking more than one person out of your skill-set?I can do it, she said, narrowing her eyes. But itll cost you.We can afford it, I said, stressful to ignore the pained look crossing Shayas face as she no doubt added up mental ledgers.Imanuelle said nothing for several moments as she pondered it all. respectable you two?Yes. And you, of course, I added.Do you have any idea where youre going in there? she asked.Kiyo and I exchanged looks. Kind of, I said.Kind of. Imanuelle snorted. Fine. Ill do it. But Im only there to disguise you. Im not fighting if you get caught.You dont have to, I assured her. Well protect you.This brought another scoff and a supreme curl of her lip. If they detect us, I can get myself out of there, believe me. Youll be on your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment